Document Type : Research paper
Iran Advanced Technologies Company, Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Tehran, Iran.
Materials and Nuclear Fuel Research School, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute, Tehran, Iran.
Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute
Design of cascade based on operational functions of a single machine is an important goal in the isotope separation theory. By recognizing the behavior of gas in a centrifuge machine, a cascade with desirable properties and parameters can be designed. In the classical theory of multistage separation installation, it has been shown that in an ideal cascade (no mixing) the total number of separation elements flow is minimal, and accordingly, the maximum separation work unit (SWU) of the cascade occurs. In the practical form, the cut and separation factors may assume to be dependent on the feed flow. Using specific functional parameters, the algorithm, design the functional cascades (DFUNCAS), can design the functional symmetric and asymmetric cascades. DFUNCAS can design a cascade with stated waste and product concentration. Furthermore, the program can design symmetric and asymmetric cascades. In this work, four test cases were considered and the results show that the DFUNCAS can design any kind of cascade accurately.
1. R.V. Wissen, M. Golombok, J.J.H. Brouwers, Separation of carbon dioxide and methane in continuous countercurrent gas centrifuges. Chem. Eng. Sci. 60, 4397-4407 (2005).
2. M. Khajenoori, et al, Investigation of hydrodynamic parameters inside a gas centrifuge rotor in the presence of hydrogen fluoride and air light gases using DSMC and Boltzmann distribution function. Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology, 94(4), 1-6 (2021).
3. M. Khajenoori, et al, Modeling and simulating of feed flow in a gas centrifuge using the Monte Carlo method to calculate the maximum separation power. Journal of Molecular Modeling 25(11), 1-12 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00894-019-4226-x
4. M. Khajenoori, et al. Modeling gas‑granular flow in molecular using the DSMC method and continuum regions by Onsager’s pancake equation with mass sources and sinks in a rotating cylinder. Granular Matter 21(3), 1-15 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10035-019-0920-8
5. S. Yousefi-Nasab, et al, Prediction of the compression ratio of a Holweck-type molecular pump with the presence of multi-component gases using a modified Sickafus method for high-speed rotors. Vacuum, 172, 109056 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2019.109056
6. J. Safdari, A. Norouzi, R. Tumari, Using a real coded PSO algorithm in the design of a multi-component countercurrent cascade. Separation Science and Technology, 52(18), 2855-2862 (2017).
7. G. Geldenhuys, Design of an Asymmetric Ideal Cascade for Isotope Enrichment. SIAM Review. 21, 390-394 (1979).
8. H.G. Wood, et al, Estimation of overall separation factor of a gas centrifuge for different multicomponent mixtures by separation theory for binary case. Sep. Sci. and Tech. 37, 417-430 (2002).
9. F. Deneddu, P. Robin, H.G. Wood, Optimization studies for Gas Centrifuges. Sep. Sci. and Tech. 35, 1207-1221 (2000).
10. J. Hu, C. Ying, S. Zeng, Overall separation factor in a gas centrifuge using a purely axial flow model. Sep. Sci. and Tech. 40, 2139-2152 (2005).
11. V.A. Palkin, Determination of the optimal parameters of a cascade of gas centrifuges. Atomic Energy. 84, 190–195 (1998).
12. A. Norouzi, A.H. Minuchehr, A. Zolfaghari, A. Hagighattalab, Parameters Optimization of a Counter-Current Cascade Based on Using a Real Coded Genetic Algorithm. Sep. Sci. and Tech. 46, 2223-2230 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1080/01496395.2011.595473
13. V.A. Palkin, I.S. Igoshin, Determination of the Optimal Parameters of a Gas Centrifuge Cascade with an Arbitrary Stage Connection Scheme. Atomic Energy. 112, 47–52 (2012).
14. V. Borisevich, M. Borshchevskiy, S. Zeng, D. Liang, On ideal and optimum cascades of gas centrifuges with variable overall separation factors. Chem. Eng. Sci. 116, 465-472 (2014).
15. A.Y. Smirnov, G.A. Sulaberidze, Q. Xieb, V.D. Borisevich, Design of cascade with locally enlarged flow for enrichment of intermediate components of multi-isotope mixtures. Chem. Eng. Res. Des. 95, 47–54 (2015).