Document Type : Research paper
Physics and Accelerators Research School, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute, (NSTRI), P.O. Box:11365-3486, Tehran-Iran
For the ion beam analysis of insulating materials, we have investigated the design and calibration of an ion beam chopper. The chopper consists of a holder, a chopper plate, four photo sensors, a stepper motor, and an electronic control unit. The chopper plate was designed based on sharing an equal fraction of the ion beam between the chopper and the target. The situation of the chopper to the ion beam is controllable by using four photo-sensors around it. The time intervals in which the material is analyzed and the number of incident ions measured are determined via gate pulses governed by the sensors’ signals. The ion beam current was measured by charge integration at the chopper plate. We calculated the charge correction factors to eliminate the contribution of secondary electrons to the measurements. The measurements were done via Rutherford backscattering spectroscopy (RBS) analysis of a thin Au layer deposited on Si wafer with helium and proton ions in the energy range of 1–2.2 MeV with a precision of less than 5%. The charge correction factors are independent of the ion beam current.
- Wang, Y. and M.A. Nastasi, Handbook of modern ion beam materials analysis: Materials Research Society Warrendale, Pennsylvania (2009).
- Bird, R.C. and J.S. Williams, Ion beams for materials analysis. Elsevier (1990).
- Heeg, P., A. Peters, and P. Strehl. Intensity Measurements of slowly extracted Heavy Ion Beams from the SIS. in AIP Conference Proceedings. American Institute of Physics (1995).
- Strehl, P., Some Interesting Specialized Aspects of Beam Diagnostics, in Beam Instrumentation and Diagnostics. Springer. p. 383-385 (2006).
- Komarov, F.F., M.A. Kumakhov, and I.S. Tashlykov, Non-destructive ion beam analysis of surfaces. CRC Press (1990).
- Schmidt, B. and K. Wetzig, Ion beams in materials processing and analysis. Springer Science & Business Media (2012).
- Matteson, S. and M. Nicolet, Electron and ion currents relevant to accurate current integration in MeV ion backscattering spectrometry.Nuclear Instruments Methods, 160(2): p. 301-311(1997).
- Mitchell, I., K. Barfoot, and H. Eschbach, Ion beam monitoring using thin self-supporting reference foils. Nuclear Instruments Methods, 168(1-3): p. 233-240 (1980).
- Luomajäarvi, M., Stopping powers of Ti, Mn, Ni and Zn for 0.5-2.0 meV 4He ions relative to those of Ai and Cu. Radiation Effects, 37(3-4): p. 223-227 (1978).
- Volkov, V., et al., Accurate light ion beam monitoring by backscattering. Nuclear Instruments Methods in Physics Research, 205(1-2): p. 73-77 (1983).
- Behrisch, R. and B.J.T.S.F. Scherzer, Rutherford backscattering as a tool to determine electronic stopping powers in solids. 19 (2): p. 247-257 (1973).
- Hollis, M., An ion beam monitor for nanoampere currents. Nuclear Instruments Methods, 103(2): p. 337-339 (1972).
- Pászti, F., et al., Current measurement on MeV energy ion beams. Nuclear Instruments Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials Atoms, 47(2): p. 187-192 (1990).
- Lane, D. and G. Partridge, The design and calibration of an ion beam chopper. Measurement Science Technology, 1(9): p. 878 (1990).
- Musket, R., R. Daley, and R. Patterson, Spinning-wire dosimetry for ion-beam analysis of materials. Nuclear Instruments Methods in Physics Research Section B, 83(3): p. 425-429 (1993).
- Piel, N., et al., Ion dose determination using beam chopper techniques. Nuclear Instruments Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors Associated Equipment, 349(1): p. 18-26 (1994) .
- Bartha, L., I. Uzonyi, and Atoms, Ion beam dose measurement in nuclear microprobe using a compact beam chopper. Nuclear Instruments Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials, 161: p. 339-343 (2000).
- Aslanoglou, X., et al., Simulations of channeling spectra in the system p+ 28Si. Nuclear Instruments Methods in Physics Research Section B, 140(3-4): p. 294-302(1998).
- Shafiei, S. and M. Lamehi-Rachti, Determination of energy loss of 1200 keV deuterons along axial and planar channels of Si. Nuclear Instruments Methods in Physics Research Section B, 345: p. 9-14 (2015).
- Mayer, M. SIMNRA, A simulation program for the analysis of NRA, RBS and ERDA. in AIP Conference Proceedings. AIP (1999).
- Suszcynsky, D.M. and J.E. Borovsky, Modified Sternglass theory for the emission of secondary electrons by fast-electron impact. Physical Review A, 45(9): p. 6424 (1992).
- Sternglass, E., Theory of secondary electron emission by high-speed ions. Physical Review, 108(1): p. 1 (1957).