Document Type : Research paper
Department of Radiation Medical Engineering, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, B. O. Box 14515-775, Tehran, Iran
Radiation Applications Research School, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute, B. O. Box 14395-836, Tehran, Iran
While the conventional parallel-hole collimators are widely used in myocardial perfusion imaging (MPI) with SPECT, they are suboptimal in balancing the existing sensitivity-resolution compromise. Therefore, multi-pinhole collimation has been proposed to address the problem. In the present study, a channel multi-pinhole collimated SPECT scanner is modeled and then simulated using the GATE Monte Carlo simulation. The multi-pinhole collimator comprises eight apertures. The material, diameter, and height of the apertures were assumed to be varying. A comparison with conventional single-pinhole was also conducted. The results show that increasing the hole diameter leads to degraded spatial resolution for the multi-pinhole collimator. Compared to the single-pinhole, the multi-pinhole collimators suffer from projection overlapping and thus deteriorated spatial resolution. The findings confirm that the channel multi-pinhole collimators outperform the single-pinhole apertures by providing much higher sensitivity at the expense of slightly lower spatial resolution and therefore would be the collimator of choice for MPI with SPECT.
1. World Health Organization (WHO), https://www.who.int/health-topics/cardiovascular-diseases#tab=tab_1.
- Wu J, Liu C. Recent Advances in Cardiac SPECT Instrumentation and Imaging Methods. Phys Med Biol. 2019; 64(6):06TR01.
- Mahani H, Raisali G, Kamali-Asl A, Ay MR. How Crystal Configuration Affects the Position Detection Accuracy in Pixelated Molecular SPECT Imaging Systems?. Nucl Sci Tech. 2017; 28:1-7.
- Mahani H, Raisali G, Kamali-Asl A, Ay MR. Spinning Slithole Collimation for High-sensitivity Small Animal SPECT: Design and Assessment using GATE Simulation. Phys Med. 2017; 40:42-50.
- Saed M, Sadremomtaz A, Mahani H. Design and Optimization of a Breast-dedicated SPECT Scanner with Multi-lofthole Collimation. J Instrum. 2022; 17(1):P01006.
- Slomka PJ, Berman DS, Germano G. New Cardiac Cameras: Single-photon CT and PET. Semin Nucl Med. 2014; 44(4):232-251.
- Van Audenhaege K, Van Holen R, Vandenberghe S, Vanhove C, Metzler SD, Moore SC. Review of SPECT Collimator Selection, Optimization, and Fabrication for Clinical and Preclinical Imaging. Med Phys. 2015; 42(8):4796-4813.
- Smith MF. Recent Advances in Cardiac SPECT Instrumentation and System Design. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2013; 15(8):1-11.
- Sarrut D, Bala M, Bardies M, Bert J, Chauvin M, Chatzipapas K, Dupont M, Etxebeste A, Fanchon LM, Jan S. Advanced Monte Carlo Simulation of Emission Tomography Imaging Systems with GATE. Phys Med Biol. 2021; 66 (10):10TR03.
- Piruzan E, Vosoughi N, Mahani H. Development and Validation of an Optimal GATE Model for Double Scattering Proton Beam Delivery. J Instrum. 2021; 16(2):P02022.
- Piruzan E, Vosoughi N, Mahani H. Modeling and Optimization of Respiratory-gated Partial Breast Irradiation with Proton Beams – A Monte Carlo Study. Comput Biol Med. 2022; 147:105666.