Document Type : Research paper
Faculty of Science, Imam Hossein Comprehensive University, B. O. Box 14395-836, Tehran, Iran
A large category of nuclear radiation detection systems are based on scintillation detectors. One of the most important and effective subsystems in performance of scintillation detectors is photomultiplier tube. The photomultiplier tubes with plasmonic photocathodes have higher efficiency and lower dead time compared to the regular tubes. In this research, in order to improve the efficiency and optical response of the photocathode, the plasmonic phenomenon has been used and a new photocathode has been designed and simulated. By periodic circular nanocavities on the surface of aluminum metal, a structure is presented that by making it possible to pair the incoming light to an electron density wave on the surface, plasmonic intensification is created in the desired wavelength range and the field intensity increases greatly. In this way, the quantum efficiency of the photocathode is improved and the detection efficiency is increased up to 15 times compared to the previous cases.
- Flyckt SO, editor. Photomultiplier tubes: principles and applications. Photonis; 2002.
- Photonics KH. Photomultiplier tube handbook. Electron Tube Division. 2006.
- Matsuoka K. Expression for the angular dependence of the quantum efficiency of a thin multi-alkali photocathode and its optical properties. Progress of Theoretical and Experimental Physics. 2018 Dec;2018(12):123H01.
- Schuller JA, Barnard ES, Cai W, Jun YC, White JS, Brongersma ML. Plasmonics for extreme light concentration and manipulation. Nature materials. 2010 Mar;9(3):193-204.
- Polyakov A, Thompson K, Senft C, Dhuey S, Harteneck B, Liang X, Schuck JP, Cabrini S, Wan W, Padmore HA. Photocathode performance improvement by plasmonic light trapping in nanostructured metal surfaces. In Nanophotonic Materials VIII 2011 Sep; 8094:30-37.
- Word RC, Dornan T, Könenkamp R. Photoemission from localized surface plasmons in fractal metal nanostructures. Applied Physics Letters. 2010 Jun;96(25).
- Li RK, To H, Andonian G, Feng J, Polyakov A, Scoby CM, Thompson K, Wan W, Padmore HA, Musumeci P. Surface-plasmon resonance-enhanced multiphoton emission of high-brightness electron beams from a nanostructured copper cathode. Physical review letters. 2013 Feb;110(7):074801.
- TrAC Trends in Analytical Chemistry. 2016 Jun;80:486-494.
- Drachev VP, Chettiar UK, Kildishev AV, Yuan HK, Cai W, Shalaev VM. The Ag dielectric function in plasmonic metamaterials. Optics express. 2008 Jan;16(2):1186-1195.
- Elsherbeni AZ, Demir V. The Finite-Difference Time-Domain in Electromagnetics. SciTech Publishing Inc. 2015.
- Yang HW, Yang ZK, Xu DD, Li AP, You X. Analysis on the efficiency of parallel FDTD method and its application in two-dimensional photonic crystal. Optik. 2014 Feb;125(3):1243-1247.
- Iqbal T, Khalil S, Ijaz M, Riaz KN, Khan MI, Shakil M, Nabi AG, Javaid M, Abrar M, Afsheen S. Optimization of 1D plasmonic grating of nanostructured devices for the investigation of plasmonic bandgap. Plasmonics. 2019 Jun;14:775-783.
- Eyvazi K, Karami MA. Optimizing Plasmonic Color Filter for Imaging Sensor. Scientific Journal of Applied Electromagnetics. 2020 May;7(2):105-112. [In Persian].
- Barnes WL. Surface plasmon–polariton length scales: a route to sub-wavelength optics. Journal of optics A: pure and applied optics. 2006 Mar;8(4):S87.
- Dowell DH, Schmerge JF. Quantum efficiency and thermal emittance of metal photocathodes. Physical Review Special Topics-Accelerators and Beams. 2009 Jul;12(7):074201.
- Foroutan S, Dizaji HZ, Riahi A. Plasmon resonance-enhanced photocathode by light trapping in periodic concentric circular nanocavities on gold surface. Optik. 2017 Jun;138:223-228.
- Arabkhorasani A, Khalilzadeh J, Dizaji HZ, Shahamat Y. Performance evaluation of metal photocathodes based on plasmonic nano-grating. Optik. 2022 Feb;252:168538.
- Palik ED, editor. Handbook of optical constants of solids. Academic press; 1998.