Document Type : Research paper
Department of Energy Engineering and Physics, Amirkabir University of Technology, P.O. BOX: 15875-4413- Tehran, Iran
Plasma and Fusion Research School, Nuclear Science and Technology Research Institute (NSTRI), P.O.BOX: 14395-836- Tehran,
In this paper, the direct effects of gliding arc discharge (GAD), dielectric barrier discharge (DBD), and argon plasma jet (APJ) discharge as generators of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species (RONS) on wheat seed yield have been evaluated. This evaluation was studied for a period of eight month in fall planting. The plasma-activated water was used for irrigation during this period. Physical quantities of the plant, such as length, weight as well as panicle length, neck diameter, weight, number of seeds per panicle, and grain weight were measured and appropriate comparisons were made on the measurements. The results indicated that cold atmospheric pressure plasma increased plant length and biomass. Moreover, the length and diameter of the panicle was also increased which caused the in relative increase in number and weight of seeds. Therefore, it can be claimed that cold plasma has a positive effect on the growth and reproduction of wheat.
- Lee Y, Lee YY, Kim YS, Balaraju K, Mok YS, Yoo SJ, Jeon Y. Enhancement of seed germination and microbial disinfection on ginseng by cold plasma treatment. Journal of Ginseng Research. 2021 Jul 1;45(4):519-26.
- Jiang J, He X, Li L, Li J, Shao H, Xu Q, Ye R, Dong Y. Effect of cold plasma treatment on seed germination and growth of wheat. Plasma Science and Technology. 2014;16(1):54.
- Ohta T, Cold plasma in food and agriculture. Plasma in Agriculture. Fundamentals and Applications, 1st ed.; Misra, NN, Shluter, O., Cullen, PJ, Eds. 2016:205-22.
- Niemira BA. Cold plasma decontamination of foods. Annual review of food science and technology. 2012 Apr 10;3:125-42.
- Kramer A, Bekeschus S, Matthes R, Bender C, Stope MB, Napp M, Lademann O, Lademann J, Weltmann KD, Schauer F. Cold physical plasmas in the field of hygiene—relevance, significance, and future applications. Plasma Processes and Polymers. 2015 Dec;12(12):1410-22.
- Thirumdas R, Sarangapani C, Annapure US. Cold plasma: a novel non-thermal technology for food processing. Food biophysics. 2015 Mar;10:1-1.
- Bourke P, Ziuzina D, Boehm D, Cullen PJ, Keener K. The potential of cold plasma for safe and sustainable food production. Trends in biotechnology. 2018 Jun 1;36(6):615-26.
- Varilla C, Marcone M, Annor GA. Potential of cold plasma technology in ensuring the safety of foods and agricultural produce: a review. Foods. 2020 Oct 11;9(10):1435.
- Dobrynin D, Fridman G, Friedman G, Fridman A. Physical and biological mechanisms of direct plasma interaction with living tissue. New Journal of Physics. 2009 Nov 26;11(11):115020.
- Randeniya LK, de Groot GJ. Non‐thermal plasma treatment of agricultural seeds for stimulation of germination, removal of surface contamination and other benefits: a review. Plasma Processes and Polymers. 2015 Jul;12(7):608-23.
- Sadhu S, Thirumdas R, Deshmukh RR, Annapure US. Influence of cold plasma on the enzymatic activity in germinating mung beans (Vigna radiate). Lwt. 2017 May 1;78:97-104.
- Kučerová K, Henselová M, Slováková Ľ, Hensel K. Effects of plasma activated water on wheat: Germination, growth parameters, photosynthetic pigments, soluble protein content, and antioxidant enzymes activity. Plasma Processes and Polymers. 2019 Mar;16(3):1800131.
- Roy NC, Hasan MM, Kabir AH, Reza MA, Talukder MR, Chowdhury AN. Atmospheric pressure gliding arc discharge plasma treatments for improving germination, growth and yield of wheat. Plasma Science and Technology. 2018 Sep 4;20(11):115501.
- Lotfy K, Al-Harbi NA, Abd El-Raheem H. Cold atmospheric pressure nitrogen plasma jet for enhancement germination of wheat seeds. Plasma Chemistry and Plasma Processing. 2019 Jul 15;39:897-912.
- Guo Q, Meng Y, Qu G, Wang T, Yang F, Liang D, Hu S. Improvement of wheat seed vitality by dielectric barrier discharge plasma treatment. Bioelectromagnetics. 2018 Feb;39(2):120-31.
- Shelar A, Singh AV, Dietrich P, Maharjan RS, Thissen A, Didwal PN, Shinde M, Laux P, Luch A, Mathe V, Jahnke T. Emerging cold plasma treatment and machine learning prospects for seed priming: a step towards sustainable food production. RSC advances. 2022;12(17):10467-88.
- Yan D, Lin L, Zvansky M, Kohanzadeh L, Taban S, Chriqui S, Keidar M. Improving seed germination by cold atmospheric plasma. 2022 Feb 9;5(1):98-110.